Saturday, November 1, 2008

Our Saturday Drive

So for those of you not familiar with German culture, they take a LOT of holidays.  I am not exactly sure what they're all for, but none the less they take off a ton.  So today Will and I decide to finally go and order the furniture for our formal living room.  We've lived in this house just over a month, and the void that greets us as we walk in the door has become annoying to say the least.  We load up the car and head off down the Autobahn to IKEA in Mannheim.  Will and I are actually able to have an adult conversation for the first time all day, thanks to the girls enjoying a Barbie DVD in the back.  As we drive a long, we discuss the beauty of the changing leaves, how to arrange the new furniture we are about to purchase, and our plans for the rest of the day. 

As we near IKEA, I begin to grow more and more excited about shopping and the opportunity to finally decorate my living room.  After driving for about an hour we pull in to the vast, completely EMPTY parking lot!  It is noon on a Saturday, and not a car to be found at one of the busiest shopping complexes around....something is wrong.  I get out of the truck and try to read the sign on the door.  (I guess I forgot that I don't actually know German.)  Using my super detective abilities, I deduce that today must be a holiday.   I am still not sure what holiday was being celebrated but, one thing is obvious....I am NOT getting my furniture.  As I make my way back to the truck, I am reminded of a recent conversation with Emily (in which I explained to her that we don't always get what we want and we should be thankful for what we are given.) So, I chose to take my own advice and focus on what I was given: a relaxing Saturday afternoon drive enjoying autumn in the German wine country and a chance to talk to my husband. Despite my disappointment in not getting what I set out for, I am thankful for some time to just enjoy the scenery and some much needed Mommy and Daddy time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah...we have to be careful about what we teach our kids!! :P Too funny!! You always know when you teach them a life lesson...God's going to test you on it!!
Love you!